NDA is an eminent defence entrance exam organised to recruit eligible candidates to the Indian defence forces. The Indian defence forces include the Indian army, Indian navy, and Air force wing of the National Defence Academy. It is not an easy job to crack the NDA entrance exam as it requires dedication and regular practice. Candidates are required to form a study plan and follow it through to prepare for this exam. Sticking to an organised study plan is one of the best preparation strategies.
NDA Exam Preparation
Candidates should be aware of the exam pattern and syllabus and clear about the basic concepts. Second, it is important to cover important topics for each section of the exam as well as practice previous years’ question papers. The third step is to save some time for revision.
This article aims to offer details about important topics asked in the NDA exam (section-wise). But before that, it is necessary to be familiar with the latest NDA exam pattern to make a plan for the exam preparation in an organised manner. For more information about the NDA exam 2022, check out BYJU’s Exam Prep and get access to important study materials and NDA previous years’ papers.
NDA Exam Pattern
Getting familiar with the NDA exam pattern helps prepare better for the exam. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) authorises the exam pattern of the NDA exam. The selection process for National Defence Academy is divided into 2 stages: written exam and SSB interview.
For selection to the National Defence Services, candidates are marked out of 1800 marks in total, where 900 marks are for the written exam, and the other 900 are assigned to SSB interview. All questions in the written exam are asked in multiple-choice format.
NDA Important Topics
Listed below are some important topics from where a majority of the questions are asked:
- Calculus including both integration and differentiation
- Analytical geometry of two and three dimensions
- Complex numbers
- Logarithms and binary numbers
- GAT (General Ability Section)
This section includes various subjects, and it tests the candidates’ ability on the same. It can be divided into two sections: the English language section and the general science and knowledge section, which includes physics, chemistry, social sciences, current events, etc.
English language section
The English syllabus of NDA includes topics like grammar and usage, word comprehension, and vocabulary. Some of the important topics that are asked frequently in the exam include:
- List of one-word substitutions
- Antonyms and synonyms
- Active and passive voice
- Adjective degree of comparison rules
- Homophones and homonyms
- Direct and indirect speech
- Idioms and phrases
- Unseen passages
- Rearrangement of sentences
- Spotting errors in sentences
General awareness and general science section
The general knowledge section of the NDA exam consists of questions from physics, chemistry, history, geography, general science, and current events.
- Electric charge and field
- Electric current
- Modern physics
- Newton’s laws
- Power and energy
- Effects of heat
- The molecular formula of compounds and their common names
- Atomic models
- Periodic table and its utilisation
- Reaction and balancing
- Acid, base, and PH,
- Oxidation and reduction
- Carbon and its allotropes
- Matter and its classification
- Separation techniques
3. General Science
- Common epidemics
- Food as a source of energy
- Cell structure, protoplasm, and tissues
- Growth and reproduction in plants and animals
- The solar system
4. History and Geography
- The freedom movement in India
- American war of independence
- French revolution
- United nations
- Panchayati raj and democracy
- The earth: shape and size
- Ocean currents
- Latitudes and longitudes
- Types of climate in India
- Regional geography of India
- Important seaports, land and air routes of India
5. Current events
- Current affairs for both national and international events will be asked in the exam.
Now that you have a clear understanding of all the important topics that need to be covered, it is advised that applicants practice the previous years’ NDA question papers. It will help get an idea of the kind of multiple-choice questions asked in the exam. Enrol now and visit BYJU’s Exam Prep website to assess sample question papers, notes, the latest news regarding the NDA exam, and more.
Stay Connect with our education blog & write for us education